How stressed are you? Take the test!

How stressed are you? Take the test!

Your car needs a new transmission, you have to book an overseas trip for your best friend’s (second) destination wedding, and you just found out your boss turned you down for a raise.

Perhaps you feel a bit stressed out.

Stress − financial or otherwise − is completely normal and can even be helpful in small doses. Chronic stress is another matter, potentially leading to high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and depression – and the higher medical expenses that can come with any of those conditions.

For a quick gut check of how stressed you are, Harvard Business Review has an interactive test adapted from the Perceived Stress Scale created by Sheldon Cohen, Tom Kamarck, and Robin Mermelstein. From this link, you can scroll down and click on the big black button to answer 10 questions and see your score to gauge your stress level.

Harvard Business School professor Francesca Gino notes a score of 13 is considered average (I scored 25. Help me.) If you get a 13, you’re probably close to hitting peak performance. Nice.

How did you score? And how do you fight stress when assuming the fetal position on the floor isn’t an option? Tell us your success stories.

18 REPLIES 18

Re: How stressed are you? Take the test!

I scored a 16! I am a VERY easy going person which seems to help with handling stress. If something comes up I generally tend to roll with it and know that I will work it out.

When something does stress me out though, I generally tend start with breaking the issue down into smaller pieces. The big picture can easily overwhelm, so my first instinct is to figure out what I can tackle immediately, the rest tends to fall into place after that and it helps alleviate the stress for me.

If the stress is something that is ongoing (example a large or complicated project) my FAVORITE destresser is a hot bath with a Lush bath bomb! They work WONDERS, highly recommend. Smiley Very Happy If I am still at work a cup of hot tea works so I can focus on the heat and take my mind briefly off the stress trigger.

Do you have any tips that work well for you @ctsai?

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

oRe: How stressed are you? Take the test!

I scored a 16 too, @Janice. I actually thought I'd be higher. But it still could be better. I would love to hear how others handle their stress. 

Deep breaths, and I think cool wet grass. Cool wet grass.

Very interesting, @ctsai. I just did it, and I think you're on to something. 

I scored 18... I guess I should be happy I am pretty "average"... but the interesting thing was, that every time I hit "feeling not in control of things that happened to me or around me" was all around the same pattern... always when my kids did something that turned our plans upside down. There is a lot of learning in this test.

Did anyone else felt/ saw a repeating pattern that moved them out of their "zen" zone?

Last week I was driving home feeling kind of frazzled and remembered @ctsai suggestion of "cool wet grass" and it totally worked!! Great suggestion for deescalating and putting your mind back in a position to think calmly. /applause for @ctsai

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Haha, yessss

I scored a 15! Not too shabby, but it probably depends on the month. 

When I feel stress or anxiety building, I too take deep breaths. You're probably thinking, how original, but I use a specific regimen touted by Dr. Andrew Weil called the 4-7-8 breathing technique. With your tongue in the Yogic position, breathe in through your nose for four seconds, hold your breath for seven seconds and breathe out forcefully through your mouth for eight.

This is a great technique for sleeplessness, which is certainly one of my greatest anxiety triggers and how I most often use it, but it is also said to lower your heart rate and blood pressure. Pretty cool stuff -- check it out for yourself. Asleep in 60 Seconds

I scored a 5. I look at things that come up as little problems to solve or challenges that I can accomplish.