What did you NOT learn in school?

What did you NOT learn in school?

My husband and I were thinking this weekend about all the things we wish someone in school would have thought us, but they did not? (our son is graduating this May, so it keeps us thinking about such things).

One thing that I wish someone would have taught us in high school was how to build a household budget. What about you?

5 REPLIES

Re: What did you NOT learn in school?

I didn't learn anything about budgeting either, or the importance of beginning to plan for retirement early. In fact, it was my first boss in my job out of college that told me to start putting money into my 401k. I am so thankful that encouraged me to start that habit early!

Honestly, ANY financial education would have been nice. I made a lot of simple money mistakes when I was first starting to work and then be on my own that could have been avoided. Then as a young professional, not understanding the value of keeping and rolling over retirement savings between positions. 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

How to do taxes!!!  I wish someone would have trained us on doing taxes, mainly because as a teenager if you have a part time job or summer job, all the taxes they are holding back, you can apply to get  back the next year. We just did that for my son last year and he was thrilled for the "free money" he did not know he can get back.

YES, this, @nvecsei. Taxes are such a huge part of our lives and affect so much of our earnings. I wish I had more of an education on them growing up, too. I recently saw a funny meme that said "I'm glad I learned about parallelograms instead of how to do taxes. It's really come in handy this parallelogram season." 

Financial literacy.

I learned my algebra, history, and science, but didn't know what an interest rate was until I got my first credit card (ouch). I truly believe that generations of future adults are being hampered by a lack of education in basic financial literacy. When's the last time you needed to solve a parabolic equation to get through your day?