You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

Challenge: Improve your daily commute

Highlighted

Challenge: Improve your daily commute

I love walking, preferably in dry and warm weather, but I love walking. So reading this great article by @csquires made me realize not everyone has the luxury to walk to work.

I would love to start a challenge and ask that you map your commute to work (you don't have to be precise, so you can protect your privacy), but I would love to see what your daily commute looks like, whether on foot, bike, car or any other method of transportation. Share a screenshot with us or tell us about your commute and if there is any way at all, that you could make it a little healthier by infusing some exercise into it.

My commute to workMy commute to work

9 REPLIES

Re: Challenge: Improve your daily commute

Every morning I give my two big, energetic dogs a brisk fifteen minute walk. Our German Shepherd loves to pull, especially when a car passes. So I get a fun, relaxing, energetic start to my day.

@nvecsei, first of all, I'm very envious that you can walk to work. I know, I know, I made the choice to live in the suburbs. Smiley Happy

Below is my (sort of) commute. I try to infuse exercise into it at least 2-3 times a week by running on a trail in between the office and my house that happens to be part of a Revolutionary War battlefield. Traffic can get pretty bad at times so, needless to say, I look forward to that run to break up the trip a bit.

My (sort of) commuteMy (sort of) commute

I work in the Harrison, NY office, but moved to Connecticut about 5 years ago. My commute is 25 miles each way so I really don't have the option to walk to work! On the days I go to the office, I leave my house around 5:15 a.m. so I can go to the gym at work and by at my desk by 8:00 a.m. There are several classes at the gym at 6:15 that I like to attend and several people that I look forward to seeing at the gym every morning. I belong to a gym near my home for use on the weekends or on the days I work from home. 

That is dedication @wed062302, all that gym time must help cope with everyday stress as well!

I know I am fortunate that I can walk to work, but I am also impressed by @seichmann8's commitment to run the trail to work. That's some serious distance too.

I owe @nvecsei a slight clarification here, I admit my post was kind of confusing. The trail I run on is halfway in between my home and the office, so I stop on the way home, run a few miles, then complete my commute. But hey, for a few glorious hours, you all thought I ran 14 miles to work a couple times a week. Smiley LOL

@seichmann8 that's still awesome! I love these ideas for breaking up the commute and while you might not run the full 14 miles it's a great reminder to just break it up. Nothing says you have to start at home and end at work by foot power alone, you can work it in how and where it works best for you! I live in the suburbs, too. Your version of breaking up the commute would be the only way that would work for me and I can think of the perfect park to stop at! Thanks for the inspiration. Smiley Very Happy

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!
Anonymous

As someone with a long commute I like to break it up by finding a place to run or workout in the middle. 

That sounds intriguing @Againer_TA - how do you do that?

Anonymous

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMF0417