You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

Thoughts on meal delivery services?

Highlighted

Thoughts on meal delivery services?

Curious if anyone here has ever tried a meal delivery service? There are quite a few of these available in the States - Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, Munchery, Gousto, etc. I'm considering trying one but they seem like a luxury expense. If you have tried one I am curious if you found value in the convenience of the service? Is that how you justified the expense? Also, what was the determining factor for you if you decided to keep or cancel the service? Sorry for all the questions, I found a coupon online and am trying to decide if I should go for it. 

• Groceries
  • Home Cooking
27 REPLIES

Re: Thoughts on meal delivery services?

LOVE Hello Fresh!!!! We get three meals for two and the portions are PERFECT for my family of three (hubby, teenage son, and myself). Since my hubby and I work full time, it has been an amazing way to have delicious meals several times a week without going out to eat. Love the packaging, easy to prepare meals, and absolutely delicious. You even get the recipes so that you can make a meal again in the future if you would like.

Shameless self promotion here--use this link to get $40 off your first delivery. Yes, I also get $20 off my next delivery. It's a great way to give it a try!!!

@jessicajwright since you've tried HelloFresh (and seem pretty enthusiastic about the service Smiley Very Happy) I'm curious if you find that the expense is comparable to the amount you would have otherwise spent on groceries? The $59.99 plan works out to roughly $10 a person per meal which seems pricey for a home cooked meal. 

@PatBee I've tried Freshly. I saw an ad on Facebook that offered a promotion code to make it $20 for the first week through a coupon so I bit. We didn't elect to continue with the service because, though they were DELICIOUS, ultimately the experience of heating the meal in the microwave wasn't very fufilling. 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

@Janice we find Hello Fresh to be a lot more affordable than eating out. $20/meal for the three of us is far cheaper than minimum $40 to $100/meal. We were just spending way too much money eating out. 

What do people tend to spend per person on home cooked meals?  I feel like I spend way to much.  

Hi @Abore2! For my house when we cook (it's just the two of us) it's generally a VERY simple meal (protein, steamed veggie, and a carb like rice or couscous) and works out to about $4 - $5 per person. I realize though that we are on the extreme side of simplicity. How about you @jessicajwright @PatBee ?

------------------
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

I don't have a typical household so I am hard pressed to set a cost benchmark. My son only eats meat and frozen food, so I can't get a food delivery service because it would be for me only. But when I was younger, I used to have lunch delivery to work. That was super cost effective, but I felt the portion size was too small and I ended up having the typical reaction of: "oh that's not what I want to eat today" since you ordered a week ahead. So financially it was worth it, from an experience it was not because I am too picky. Smiley Sad

@Abore2--I agree with you! It seems like I spend too much money when I start shopping for meals to prepare at home. My hubby called and asked if I would pick up ingredients to make guacamole and queso because he was going to heat up the taquitos we had in the freezer. The kiddo and I go to the store, get ingredients, and maybe a couple of other things, check out and it's a little over $50! Seriously, to make queso and guac? With Hello Fresh (or any meal delivery service you prefer) the costs are contained and I don't have to plan a trip to the grocery store. I mean, who really likes to go grocery shopping anyway?!?

@Janice--if we could get away with preparing a meal for $5/person at home--I would be thrilled. Maybe we are doing something wrong???

@jessicajwright Not doing anything wrong (though PHEW $50 for guac and queso!?) like I mentioned, I admit we're on the basic side of eating clean when we make dinners at home. Generally a pan cooked or baked chicken breast per person (the protein is the most expensive part of the meal and chicken is cheap $4-5 for a 2 pack of chicken breast), chicken is seasoned or marinated, a steamed veggie (example - a head of broccoli is at the most $2), and then a cup of rice or couscous ($1 - $2). This would be an "average" example of our meals. I imagine the meals for your family are more complex or maybe you have dietary restrictions or preferences that involve maybe a higher cost alternative? (i.e. gluten sensitivity, organic, etc)  

I am interested in trying Hello Fresh if I give it a go I will share with everyone in this topic! Smiley Happy 

------------------
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMN0417