You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

Balancing career, family, and exercise?!?

Highlighted

Balancing career, family, and exercise?!?

WOW! I am completely amazed at how difficult it seems to be to actually get in some exercise! How do you work your schedule to get in exercise. I am shooting towards three times/week. But right now, it's pretty much nill. I walk a lot during the day, but nothing that would be considered an actual cardiovascular workout. I try to take the stairs as often as possible. Ideally, getting in a couple of days of yoga and maybe a good walk or three would be FABULOUS! Seems that we are fairly packed between getting work done and the schedule of our teenage son.

--looking for accountability (maybe that's what is really needed)

7 REPLIES

Re: Balancing career, family, and exercise?!?

Accountability is so important for fitness goals, especially when starting or re-starting a routine. It's  tough to balance goals with a busy family life, professional career, and various time demands. It's all about priorities though, right? So, maybe just helping shift those priorities for when you do have a half free to spend it getting the heart rate up (and then, of course, the relaxing part right after 'cause that's important too!). 

I can think of a few creative ways to help -

• Schedule treats/rewards for achieving milestones
  • Join an accountability Facebook group
  • Film a short video every day/week/month so you have a visible process for your progress
    • Alternatively, a picture a day!

Ultimately though - what motivates you? You don't have to share, but just think about it and when you recognize what it is keep that image in your head as you try to decide between watching TV/surfing the net/taking a nap in the downtime you do get or trying to catch the next yoga class. Smiley Very Happy Accountability to others is important but accountability to your goal is what really resonated with me personally.

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Oh this is top of mind for me for the last few weeks now. I have been taking on too much it seems. Between my expanding work (which I love), my kids and husband, my health (new diet and exercise regime = getting ready for a 10km run in October) and hobbies, I have found myself unable to achieve anything.

I ended up deciding to give up a couple of things, like helping a friend do his marketing and go to market plan for his new business. I will help him find the right team but will remove myself from doing the work. I have re-prioritized my health and have tasked the kids with some chores to make my "home life" a little bit less demanding. 

I hope it will work out.

As for working out, I have a personal trainer once a week which  is very expensive so I am making sure to use that time and keep setting myself challenges like the upcoming 10k run... so I force myself to get up 3 times a week early to get some training in before work.

I know a buddy system works well for me, so if you want to join up and have some accountability, I am happy to commit to that. Also I know @TamiF has been doing amazing work on her diet and exercise. She might have some great suggestions too.

Thanks for the shout-out, @nvecsei

The biggest thing that jump-started me was working with an onsite wellness coach (free benefit our site offers - does your site offer anything like that?!).  And really, as a couple of people have already mentioned, it was about accountability.  I knew if I met with her, I would need to set a couple of goals and I was going to make sure I did not disappoint her (and myself!).  So that is what started it all - and she had me start with small, simple goals - get up 3 times a week and workout for 20 minutes.  I was like - no, I can get up 5 times a week and workout for 40 minutes.  But she held me to the 3/20.  I kept meeting my goals and it jump-started my habit.

I now consistently workout out about 6-7 times a week.  I am on a mission to treadmill/run a total of 1000 miles this year.  I seem to have leveled off at my weight loss.  I've lost 22 lbs since January, which I am happy about, but my ultimate goal is to lose another 5-10 lbs.  That has been difficult for me over the past 3 months - I seem to be in a lull and can't seem to break out.  But!  I shall keep at it.

@nvecsei, I just completed my first two 10k races ever!  and even signed up for my first half marathon in May!  I can't believe I committed to it, but I did!  (yikes!)

@Jessica- keep at it.  Taking the stairs - great idea!  I started that routine, too!  Mornings work best for my workouts because I know at night there will be something else to distract me (long day, daughter's activities, dinner, homework, and me just being plain ol' tired!).  Set yourself a goal - X days a week for X minutes for X weeks = something fabulous (dinner at your favorite place, bottle of wine, new outfit, etc.)  Find a friend that promises to ask you about it daily or weekly.

Make it a family thing - everyone takes a walk after dinner?  or bike ride?  Do you have fitness tracker?  That helped my family.  We like to compare steps with each other!  :-)

Good luck!  You can totally do it!  Think positive!  Set yourself a goal and "Just Do It!"  :-)

Totally in a lull right now too, @TamiF. I noticed it's coincided with Ian not really being as "into" working out. When he was going with me to the gym and/or walking together working out was way easier to get motivated to get up and out of the house. 

I'm trying to enjoy the last couple of months of walking weather before the snow begins! 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Hi Jessica,

Happy Wednesday Smiley Very Happy

Does your teenage son's schedule involve afterschool clubs or sports? If so, and if you find yourself waiting with other parents during football, soccer, or baseball practice, I would suggest taking a jog around the school's athletic field or doing calisthenics in the parking lot. I had this conversation with a college friend of mine when her son was a sophomore in high school. We talked through the idea of doing a rotation of: (1) HIIT exercises (in the grassy field); (2) DIY cardio dance (with headphones); (3) squats/lunges; (4) general calisthenics like jumping rope and (5) stretching while a 90-120 minute practice is underway with the kids.

(I have many of Denise Austin's moves memorized, and can put them to my own playlist on my phone)

I have worked out almost every morning for 30 years.  I started at home in front of the TV...now we have YouTube!!!  Later on when I joined the YMCA I look back and I certainly enjoyed meeting friends and going for a run or bike ride,  then yoga started.  I truly believe when we think about exercise as a way to preserve our health and see the results....like 30 years later....it is all worth it.  I was a single mom working multiple jobs taking extra classes at college and so getting up early was the solution.  Nutrition is also so important, so tying it all together is even better.  When you work out everything in life is more balanced! 

You are an inspiration @JKGeddes - I want to build that self-discipline that will keep me exercising for the next 30 years. Thank you!

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMF0417