You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

Best time of day to work out?

Highlighted

Best time of day to work out?

Hello Community!  I'm interested to know what time of day you prefer to work out, and why. I tend to work out in the mornings because it gives me energy for the day and then I can enjoy the day more knowing that I've already worked out.  But sometimes I like to save it for the end of the day  because it's such a nice stress reliever, so I try to do a mix as my schedule allows. 

38 REPLIES

Re: Best time of day to work out?

I try to get my workout done first thing in the morning.... or "life gets in the way" of completing my workout goals.    **I also try to take a short evening walk after dinner, 30 minutes or less.    The evening walk is more for relaxation and digestion,  than for physical fitness.

I try to get my workouts done early in the morning,  before work or calendar commitments start.   Otherwise,  "life gets in the way" of my workout goals.    **I also try to take a 30-minute walk after dinner, but this is more for relaxation and digestion than for physical fitness.

I work out in the  mornings when my kids go off to school, right before work, because after work I am so drained and I have to many "mom" duties, like grocery shopping and cooking etc...and then I fall asleep at 9pm. Smiley Very Happy

How comforting to know someone else falls asleep at 9 p.m. I try to make it until 10 on the weekends!

I prefer evenings. Helps to get the stress out after a long day at work and makes me even more tired such that it is easier to fall asleep. It also helps that a lot more interesting TV programming is on in the evenings and watching one of my favorite shows helps to make the time on the treadmill zip by. So to speak.

Of course the important thing is to simply get a work out in whenever you can. Whatever works for you is the best.

I work out in the morning; otherwise, I won't get it in.  Too many other distractions when I get home from work.

I am not a morning person so I am happy to see at least one other evening exerciser (waves to @NikGodon). Alot of the people I know work out in the morning and preach the benefits of being focused and energized for the day... I am geninely envious! Smiley LOL 

Personally, I solely work out after work. It's one of the reasons I try to keep an earlier work schedule. I might need to try harder to wake up earlier though as it's becoming more and more difficult to fit in workouts after work as the weather gets nicer and the social obligations increase with summer coming!  

I read a piece on bodybuilding.com that stated there might be a biological benefit to working out in the mornings as it's when some hormones peak? Interesting to consider - I just fit it in where I can. Smiley Very Happy

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Random question to @NikGodon and @Janice - if you work out in the evnenings, when do you eat dinner? Before or after the workout?

I used to workout during lunch time a few years ago, But I was constantly rushed and ended up going to meetings at 1pm with a blotchy red face from the effort....so I stopped doing it. Curious to see if anyone does launch break gym activities.

I eat right after the gym, @nvecsei ! Now that we're used to eating early in the evening it does make dinner out with friends a bit challenging as waiting past 6 feels like torture. Smiley Very Happy

I can't imagine squeezing in an actual workout at lunch for the reasons you mentioned. I do try and fit in a walk around the block or a stair challenge at lunch as often as possible. That way I'm staying active (go metabolism!) during the day and any extra calories burned help make me feel better when I am craving an ice cream. Woman Wink

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMF0417