Standing Desk

Highlighted

Standing Desk

I don't have any data to share, but was wondering how many people have a standing desk and how they like it? Recently my team brought this up in a team meeting and I was surprised how many people have caught the "bug", I am definitely rethinking how much time I spend sitting. Looking forward to your thoughts.

15 REPLIES

Re: Standing Desk

Hi @jtaylor - at my current workplace I do not have a standing desk, but at a previous workplace we had desks that were hydraulic, so we could easy shift from sitting to standing. I have to say it was very comfortable and convenient. I currently opt to work from some of the hightop tables ( that are scattered around our office floor) when my legs or "behind" are getting sore from sitting.  But most recently I had surgery and could not sit at all, so I just worked for days straight from the hightop table. It's not perfect, but I am glad I had the option at least. 

I know prices have come down quite a bit. Some desks start now at $300.

I found this article about the benefits and downsides of using a standing desk. Quite an interesting read.

@nvecsei, those were two interesting reads!  I like the idea of finding a balance, and finding ways to be more active in your day.  I am lucky to work from home and  although I have a "sit down" desk,  I feel empowered to stand up during many meetings, and move around a little.  Nobody can see me and wonder "what is she doing?" during the middle of a meeting.  A nice perk. I am an active (perhaps fidgety) person by nature and so I'm most happy when I'm active. Some friends tell me I work out too much but on the flip side, would you ever tell anyone they sit too much???

Just a quick mood lifter Smiley Happy

for a snappy $2,000 this could be yours Smiley LOL

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 3.07.21 PM.png

Could you imagine someone bringing in a Dr's note for a swimming desk. Smiley Very Happy

I've never used a standing desk personally but I would love the flexibility to switch between sitting and standing (other health benefits aside). When my back gets uncomfortable I stretch a bit (standing or sitting) and that helps. Are standing desks mainly an ergonomic benefit?

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

I'm enjoying the conversation and articles about standing desks as I have been also thinking about investing in a hydraulic desk for a long time.  A little different spin on standing desks...  my manager has a "treadmill desk" and is able to walk while she works!  Thankfully we work from home and have options like that.

I have seen people walking on treadmills while working on a laptop, I am always astounded by people's coordination skills.  Not me, unfortunately. My friend has a desk bike, which is basically a pedal system you can "ride" with your feet while working at a sitting desk. She lost 10lbs using that thing Smiley Happy

HAHA!! Smiley Tongue

yes I love working from home - more flexibility to work out and be active.

I have had a standing desk for several years because of back issues and it has made a world of difference in my energy level especially at the end of the day. I used to go home grumpy with pain but when using s standup desk I feel great!

I just recently had one installed at my current desk and I forgot to invest in the standing pad for the floor. That makes a big difference!