You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

Standing Desk

Highlighted

Standing Desk

I don't have any data to share, but was wondering how many people have a standing desk and how they like it? Recently my team brought this up in a team meeting and I was surprised how many people have caught the "bug", I am definitely rethinking how much time I spend sitting. Looking forward to your thoughts.

15 REPLIES

Re: Standing Desk

Hi @jtaylor - at my current workplace I do not have a standing desk, but at a previous workplace we had desks that were hydraulic, so we could easy shift from sitting to standing. I have to say it was very comfortable and convenient. I currently opt to work from some of the hightop tables ( that are scattered around our office floor) when my legs or "behind" are getting sore from sitting.  But most recently I had surgery and could not sit at all, so I just worked for days straight from the hightop table. It's not perfect, but I am glad I had the option at least. 

I know prices have come down quite a bit. Some desks start now at $300.

I found this article about the benefits and downsides of using a standing desk. Quite an interesting read.

@nvecsei, those were two interesting reads!  I like the idea of finding a balance, and finding ways to be more active in your day.  I am lucky to work from home and  although I have a "sit down" desk,  I feel empowered to stand up during many meetings, and move around a little.  Nobody can see me and wonder "what is she doing?" during the middle of a meeting.  A nice perk. I am an active (perhaps fidgety) person by nature and so I'm most happy when I'm active. Some friends tell me I work out too much but on the flip side, would you ever tell anyone they sit too much???

Just a quick mood lifter Smiley Happy

for a snappy $2,000 this could be yours Smiley LOL

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 3.07.21 PM.png

Could you imagine someone bringing in a Dr's note for a swimming desk. Smiley Very Happy

I've never used a standing desk personally but I would love the flexibility to switch between sitting and standing (other health benefits aside). When my back gets uncomfortable I stretch a bit (standing or sitting) and that helps. Are standing desks mainly an ergonomic benefit?

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

I'm enjoying the conversation and articles about standing desks as I have been also thinking about investing in a hydraulic desk for a long time.  A little different spin on standing desks...  my manager has a "treadmill desk" and is able to walk while she works!  Thankfully we work from home and have options like that.

I have seen people walking on treadmills while working on a laptop, I am always astounded by people's coordination skills.  Not me, unfortunately. My friend has a desk bike, which is basically a pedal system you can "ride" with your feet while working at a sitting desk. She lost 10lbs using that thing Smiley Happy

HAHA!! Smiley Tongue

yes I love working from home - more flexibility to work out and be active.

I have had a standing desk for several years because of back issues and it has made a world of difference in my energy level especially at the end of the day. I used to go home grumpy with pain but when using s standup desk I feel great!

I just recently had one installed at my current desk and I forgot to invest in the standing pad for the floor. That makes a big difference!

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMF0417