You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

Brain Training / Games?

Highlighted

Brain Training / Games?

@MulletMoney23's blog on 'Busy Bees and Brain Function' discussed how staying busy can improve cognitive abilities and brain function. If you're not the "busy" type though I know there are other ways of accomplishing this - like brain games or brain training. 

I have a Nintendo DS and used to play Brain Age regularly, it would track your progress each time you played it and inform you what you improved from the last test. I'm not big on puzzles but I know crosswords and Sodoku are hugely popular and those are both considered brain training! Being busier recently than I typically am I definitely FEEL like my brain is more 'nimble' when switching gears, or coming up with things on the spot than before when I wasn't as active.

I came across this article on Psychology Today 'Cognitive Benefits of Exercise Outshine Brain-Training Games' that shares new research showing the best brain "exercise" is literally cardio and that they anticipate "exer-gaming," which combines exercise with brain games, to become hugely popular (remember the Pokemon Go craze?).

What are the ways you exercise your brain? Do you stay busy around the house, play games, have training exercises, or maybe spend hours trying to figure out what your cat is thinking? Woman Very Happy

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!
15 REPLIES

Re: Brain Training / Games?

This is something I wish I was better at.  I have recently committed to the treadmill every morning and I typically walk my dog 1-2 times per night.  That keeps my body (and ultimately, my brain) alert.  However, unfortunately, instead of spending my "down" time or "me" time doing crossword puzzles or word finds, I spend it on social media (please don't judge me! :-)  )  All that being said, I am glad you posted this!  I just might make a point to add a crossword puzzle or word find book to my shopping list this weekend.  My daughter was hooked on Sudoku puzzles last summer.  I need to get her back on that kick, too!

I keep my brain active by learning new skills. Last year, I completed a year-long digital marketing certificate, and this year, I joined a local Toastmasters group. Speaking extemporaneously is incredibly challenging -- like powerlifting for your brain. Every time I stand up in front of my fellow Toastmasters, I can feel my mind brain searching for a topic and trying to formulate a quick speech that's both organized and engaging. With prepared speeches, you have the benefit of time, but practicing a speech is its own kind of mental workout, especially if you're trying to deliver it sans notecards.

If I'm feeling especially nerdy, I like to try to list all of the state capitals. It's harder than it sounds!  

That's great, Kimberly!   I have considered joining Toastmasters multiple times and just can't seem to make the commitment.  Maybe someday, because I do believe that it would be good for me.

For me, that's what it's all about: staying busy. Plain and simple, I can't sit still (just ask my wife). If I'm staying active doing something, ANYTHING, I feel like my mind is sharper than if I'm sitting on the couch and vegging for hours on end. I really feel that when I exercise, or do yard work, or do work around the house, or play with my daughter, that my mind is clearer and I'm more motivated to make decisions instead "eh, I'll think about it tomorrow". 

BTW, @KimberlyThomson, I'm a major geography nerd and I can go toe to toe with you on state capitals. Let's go! 

TamiF wrote:

That's great, Kimberly!   I have considered joining Toastmasters multiple times and just can't seem to make the commitment.  Maybe someday, because I do believe that it would be good for me.

I've always thought about joining toastmasters, too! What @KimberlyThomson mentioned about "impromptu" speeches and weaving the narrative for a compelling presentation is an area I really could use help developing. I shall have to overcome fear of failing miserably and attend a local meeting to check it out. Smiley Happy

It think a gauntlet was just thrown down by @seichmann8 ! Here's a 50 state capital online quiz that has a 10 minute max timer, take it and share your score! (no googling!!) 

ive-got-my-thinking-cat-on-102181.jpg ....

My results - 

Spoiler
I got SIX out of fifty capitals, I'm awful at basic geography apparently. Cat MadWoman LOLSmiley Very Happy

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

I have to say I started playing Trivial Pursuit a few years ago with friends and I very quickly learned that I am strong in geography and history and failed miserably in everything else. (Namely American Pop Culture questions and Literature). It's a hard game, but also fun! Anyone has a favorite board game that is a hidden brain trainer?

I got 17 on the quiz. 

Boom. 

2017-04-28_12-24-03.jpg

I got 12 Smiley Sad

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMM0417