Brain Training / Games?

Re: Brain Training / Games?

I highly recommend you give it a shot! The groups are all very encouraging, and you can shop around for the group vibe that you like. I went to four different chapters before I found the one that fit. It's been a great experience so far. I joined at the end of March and I've spoken impromptu twice, delivered one speech and fulfilled many roles, including Toastmaster (the person who runs the meeting) this week!

Such an interesting topic! I've read in several places about the whole mind/body connection, and how being active and exercising also has great benefits to your mind and cognitive function.  I like the "two-fer" benefit of exercise.  As for focusing more on the mind, I've seen some great benefits from meditating in the morning before I get out of bed, and in the evening right before bed.  I like to use a guided meditation app to make it super easy. It's a great way to start and end the day with relaxation and a positive focus.  The web site has a nice list of the top guided meditation apps.

http://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/top-meditation-iphone-android-apps#1

You win, Stev-o -- I got 35/50. (It would have been 36 but I could not remember how to spell Des Moines -- got the first silent "S" and forgot the second.) The others I simply forgot. Time to brush up!!

@Jill_C wrote:

Such an interesting topic! I've read in several places about the whole mind/body connection, and how being active and exercising also has great benefits to your mind and cognitive function.  I like the "two-fer" benefit of exercise.  As for focusing more on the mind, I've seen some great benefits from meditating in the morning before I get out of bed, and in the evening right before bed.  I like to use a guided meditation app to make it super easy. It's a great way to start and end the day with relaxation and a positive focus.  The web site has a nice list of the top guided meditation apps.

http://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/top-meditation-iphone-android-apps#1

Yaaas, @Jill_C! I use the guided mediation app Calm but I've been thinking about looking for others (Calm is limited in free version) so thanks for the link. I'm not in a routine for mediation in the morning, but when I feel anxious during the day OR am trying to slow my mind down enough to get to sleep I will go through a guided meditation and it's so helpful to me. 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

That was fun! I got 25. I had no problem with Des Moines. I am from Iowa so I better know that one. I got tripped up on the spelling of other capitals. So not only do I need to brush up on my capitals, I also need to work on my spelling. With everything on computer, it is very easy to rely on autocorrect for spelling errors.

I would encourage everyone to join a Toastmasters group. I've been a member on and off for close to 10 years now and I will be forever grateful to that organization for helping me with confidence and career progression. 

If you talk to any Toastmaster, the only regret they ever have is not joining a club sooner! It took me two years to build up the confidence to attend a club and once I did, I wished I had joined sooner.