You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

How to stay ahead of the Equifax data breach

Highlighted

How to stay ahead of the Equifax data breach

In light of the news today regarding a data breach at Equifax in which the personal information of over 140 million Americans, including social security and credit card numbers, were compromised I wanted to create a round up of the information we currently have around identity theft and tips to protect yourself against it. I'll add to this list as more resources and information become available.

Note that experts are thinking the data will be used for targeted phishing scams so be vigilant about the offers you receive via email and social platforms.

UPDATE 09/08/2017 - 

Equifax has a website you can use to check if your information may have been compromised and enroll in their TrustedID Premier program, link below.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/enroll/

UPDATE 09/12/2017 - 

Equifax is now waiving the fee to freeze your credit profile so if you wanted to freeze it before but did not because they were charging for the service the service is now free of charge for 30 days. The link below is to the NYT article tracking this issue. 

Equifax, Bowing to Public Pressure, Drops Credit-Freeze Fees for 30 Days

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!
1 REPLY

Re: How to stay ahead of the Equifax data breach

Thanks @Janice for sharing. This is pretty scary stuff, to think that nearly half of the US population will be effected by this event.  Simply unfathomable.

Recommended Discussions

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMM0417