Paving the way for lower cost hearing aids?

Paving the way for lower cost hearing aids?

I read an article in the Times today about how the combination of technology advancements and Congressional support might pave the way forward for lower cost hearing aids. If you haven't ever had a reason to price hearing aids you would know they're VERY expensive about one to two thousand each (and two are generally needed) and require going through an audiologist for purchase. The bill that recently passed the House committee would classify hearing aids as "over the counter" allowing much greater access to them and (hopefully) driving down costs as brands expand into the market.  

As someone who spent time in Member Services for a major insurance company, I was excited to stumble across this article. I can't tell you how many people I had to inform that their health plan lacked hearing aid coverage. It was really tough. With 60% of adults over 70 affected by hearing loss hearing aids are a vital piece of staying socially connected in later years. If we make them accessible and affordable I feel like it would have a huge impact on the people who need them!

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!
2 REPLIES

Re: Paving the way for lower cost hearing aids?

I actually have a friend who has hearing impairment since a very young age. Her hearing health costs are astronomical. I will share this article with her, because it is such a hot topic in our discussions. 

Re: Paving the way for lower cost hearing aids?

Making drugs available over the counter without a prescription reduces their prices substantially. When Claratin became available over the counter with generic substitutes the price fell dramatically. I am sure the same will be true of hearing aids - the cost seems out of line with other electronics. Why should a single hearing aid cost more than a smartphone? This is good news for all consumers. Now if we can only tune hearing aids without an audiologist!

Recommended Discussions