Spouses and Co-Workers: An Experiment

Helped
Highlighted

Spouses and Co-Workers: An Experiment

I haven't posted in a while , but I'm back! OK, I work from home full time, and now, suddenly, so does my husband with his new job. It's been two weeks. So far he has accused me of hogging the "employee restroom" and I think he ate my lunch out of the refrigerator. We work for two different companies and have two separate home offices, but I've already found myself ignoring him when he was trying to "chat" the other day when I was in the middle of something, just like one does when an annoying coworker walks up to your desk when you're working.  This is going to be interesting....any advice?? 

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions

Re: Spouses and Co-Workers: An Experiment

I'm often in a similar situation  - my wife works at home about half the time, and I'm here most of the time.  The nine most important words to remember are: "I need to finish this - can we talk later?" 

It's not that much different from dealing with other co-workers who are constantly around you in an office environment.  It's always good to be friendly but firm, and prioritize your work over your personal relationships, at least from 9 to 5.  And I have to say, stealing your food out of the refrigerator sounds more like a marital issue than a co-worker issue.  ;-)

5 REPLIES

The "employee restroom" comment made me laugh. Another comment I recommend is saying "wow, that was a rough commute this morning" when you first walk into your office for the day. 

I'm often in a similar situation  - my wife works at home about half the time, and I'm here most of the time.  The nine most important words to remember are: "I need to finish this - can we talk later?" 

It's not that much different from dealing with other co-workers who are constantly around you in an office environment.  It's always good to be friendly but firm, and prioritize your work over your personal relationships, at least from 9 to 5.  And I have to say, stealing your food out of the refrigerator sounds more like a marital issue than a co-worker issue.  ;-)

I used to work from home full time for 3 years and my spouse worked from home on and off. We found that being in separate rooms helped since we both have many calls to attend and it causes a lot of noise. In our current apartment we don't have any private space, so here are our top choices:

• our apartment building's club room
  • local coffee shop
  • local galvanize office

How about making time to eat lunch together. It gives both of you a reason to take a break, have a polite conversation and then go back to completing the work for the day?

One other suggestion for a place I go to when I need to work away from the spouse: the public library.  There are desks and sometimes even private study rooms, there's always a strong Internet connection, and you can stay all day without anyone demanding that you buy something.

@nvecsei, that sounds nice!  We're both usually too busy and barely speak throughout the day, but we did go to lunch together last Friday as a treat, and it was nice to step away from the home office and chat about things other than work! 

Recommended Discussions