Best time of day to work out?

Re: Best time of day to work out?

I don't WFH often, but I like the lunch-hour walk as a mid-day energizer!

Wherever it fits best with my current schedule - morning, lunch, after work or evenings. I really enjoy a full 8 hours sleep which often trumps the morning workout option!

Well, sleep is also very important! 

Wow @hmeggscr - you are the first person I ever met who can workout any time of the day!  But I am right there with you on the 8 hrs sleep time. But I usually crash at 9pm anyway... so I cam ok to get up at 6am Smiley Happy

Great question, over lunch or right after work, however with kids and supper schedules the latter doesn't work as well in this stage of life. Over lunch does energize me to make it through the rest of the day! Smiley Happy

I prefer during lunch, as I have certain things I like to watch on TV, while on the treadmill. It sure helps to pass the time and take my mind off the workout. Additionally, it also helps to energize me for the afternoon.

@kimberc wrote:

I prefer during lunch, as I have certain things I like to watch on TV, while on the treadmill. It sure helps to pass the time and take my mind off the workout. Additionally, it also helps to energize me for the afternoon.

@kimberc I love having something to take my mind off working out as well. I don't have the ability to treadmill at home but when I do cardio at the gym I try to find a spot in the cardio "theatre" which is a room they've setup with a large screen to play movies on and all of the cardio equipment is in rows in front of it. It's a fun way to break up the monotony! 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

For me, my goals determined which time of day I would workout. I got into lifting heavy and didn't care about body fat or cardio. Afternoon was the best time for me for many reasons. For cutting that body fat and leaning out, the morning was the best time. If you can squeeze in some good cardio time before breakfast you are really burning up the fat.

Hi @Jotun - so do you exercise more than once a day?

Age old debate...and I have heard pros and cons from members of just about every generation.  For me a "work out" needs to fit into my training program (yeah I am a weirdo) and has as much to do with the weather as it does with time of day (TOD) and life. Typical weekday routine wold be run or swim in the morning (6am-8am) before workday begins and bike rides in the evening (6pm-8pm); but if the weather forecast calls for evening rain/hail/sleet/snow/wind (you get the jist; Colorado has weather issues) I will swap to avoid having to ride the bike indoors.  Now on the weekends that is totally a different story as I ride bike 1st and early (6am start is normal) so that I am done by noon and can coordinate meeting the family/friends for lunch.  And in reply to @nvecsei I am firmly in favor of the eat after exercise logic so 1- I can replenish what was depleted during the efforts and 2 - if I eat before it might not stay down.