Building healthy habits: Walking or being more active

Building healthy habits: Walking or being more active

I’ve been putting thought lately into how most of our wealth and wellness goals can be reinforced with building and setting healthy habits into place.

I’m in the habit of going to the gym, I’m no fanatical exercise enthusiast, but I love to eat things like pasta and baked potatoes (in moderation of course!) so I have to stay active so I can splurge every now and then on loaded fries. Smiley Happy While I don’t always want to go or particularly enjoy the workout I’m able to motivate myself to get in the car and head there because it’s routine for me now. I’m sharing that because I think it’s a good example of a formed habit reinforcing a goal.

While I might have the gym under control what I don’t have down staying active at work. Examples: walking on breaks, stair challenges, etc. I used to be really good at using my breaks to walk around the city block twice and take the stairs up a few flights before catching an elevator the rest of the way (currently on the 21st floor and I am not that brave!). One thing I thought of today was to create an alarm on my phone so that I have a popup/alert on my watch/phone to remind me to get out of my chair and around the block.

So, I’m curious - What have you done to implement healthy activity into your life? What worked for you to get your momentum going and kept it going long enough you were able to build the habit into a routine? Did that habit have a reward you weren't expecting?

Tagging: @Jotun , @Jessica , @nvecsei , @puckeater9

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Building healthy habits: Walking or being more active

I love my Fitbit for exactly that. It vibrates if I have been inactive for 45 min and encourages me to take 250 steps. Which sounds like a lot but truly is not. It's a trip to the kitchen to get fresh water. It's great to help me take the baby steps I need to have a better and healthier lifestyle. 

Great idea of setting an alarm or reminder on your phone/watch/other device to remind you to get up and move. You would be amazed at how beneficial that is for not only your body but your mind as well. If we take a few minutes to rest & refresh by getting away from our desk/work space--we actually are MORE productive and focused!

Sitting for long periods of time has so many negative impacts on our body. Moving and releasing the energy helps us so much!!

Walking the dog helped me get into a good routine. I started just walking to take care of him but then it became a routine for us to go out in the morning. Now that summer is here we're also going on walks in the evening too now, just a couple of evenings a week, it's more than I would have done before I had him.