How do you keep your family fit?

How do you keep your family fit?

Sharing an article I read this morning from the NYT called "Child's play is good for all of us" (note to self - do not google child's play) that shared an interesting study. From the article - 

"If all of the children who currently are sedentary started exercising every day, societies could save enormous amounts of money in the coming decades and have healthier citizens as a whole, according to a remarkable new study. In the United States alone, we could expect to save more than $120 billion every year in health care and associated expenses."

I started thinking about my childhood activity levels, but quickly realized it was a totally different generation than what this study was modeled off of (children who are currently 8 - 11 years old). Without the consumption of media on electronic devices our only source of entertainment was ourselves and each other. Generally the act of "playing", in my childhood at least, was an act of physical activity in itself. 

As we encourage ourselves to move more are we also having a positive and healthy impact on our families as we influence them by example as well? Can activity have a positive impact not only by general health, but also the medical savings associated with overall being healthier? Can we increase our family wealth simply by living a healthier lifestyle that encourages physical activity from an early age, setting healthy habits in place for a lifetime?

Do you do anything special such as habits or routines as a family that encourage physical activity? 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!
6 REPLIES 6

Re: How do you keep your family fit?

Breaking the lazy cycle is hard but necessary.

Cook! Stop the quick lazy fast food habit and spend the time and effort to make healthy lean meals.

Get outside and be active! Between gyms, recreation centers, and parks there is no reason not to do something active a few times a week. 

Newton's first law is true about the human body as well. 

An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion.

We cook at home every night except Fridays. Lots of veggies,stir fry,and grilling. No fast food except pizza maybe once a month or chinese

Carlie

Stir fry is one of those things I love but have never been able to master at home. Do you have any recipe/tips for how you prepare yours for your family, @carlieperez ? 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

I have not mastered it completely either, but I usually use chicken that was grilled first (sliced into strips) keep my veggies very crisp, oil must be very hot and we use teriyaki marinade, a little water if needed...add chicken last since its already cooked  and serve over rice.We love the combo of broccoli , carrots, cauliflower and onions. Really whatever veggies you like. You can make it your own creation...

Carlie

That sounds yummy carlieperez. I want to try this soon!

I keep my family fit by encouraging playing outside. I don't have TV's in any of the bedrooms. In order to play on the xbox they have to do their schoolwork and chores first. As a family we all go to Taekwondo 3 nights a week.

In our family of 5 children, we make movement a priority for everyone!

1. The kids all have bikes that they ride on a regular basis. The teenagers even bike on their own to soccer practice instead of us driving them. Family hikes are also a favorite so we get to enjoy time in nature together, disconnect from screens and get some exercise. When we are home, we have an awesome game called

2. Family hikes are also a favorite so we get to enjoy time in nature together, disconnect from screens and get some exercise. When we are home, we have an awesome game called

3. When we are home, we have an awesome game called "Fitivities" that is a fitness contest for the whole family where you race through exercises as you land on different spots on the board trying to reach the end first with your team. On a beautiful day, we will set up an obstacle course on the driveway with hula hoops and

4. On a beautiful day we play tag or set up an obstacle course on the driveway with hula hoops and drawing with side walk chalk that we have to run and jump through with each other and we create new games each time to keep it fun and exciting. our 6-year-old is normally in charge of this one and it gets everybody running and jumping. 

5. A final favorite is "ball tag". You play it like regular tag but instead of tagging other people you have to hit them with a playground ball that you throw. It is like a combo of tag and dodge ball. Great fun for every age!