Living to 100

Living to 100

Wouldn't it be great to live to 100 in great health and fitness? Doctors say that we can increase our chances of living longer by improving our health and fitness today.

9 REPLIES

Re: Living to 100

Hi @john_garrett! Great to have to have you here. Smiley Wink This is such an interesting topic and it's especially relevant as the Stanford Center on Longetivity just hosted a wonderful webinar last week where I learned that over the last century the lifespan of the average American has increased by nearly thirty years*! I totally agree that improving health and fitness now will benefit you so much as we are much more likely to live to 100. What a wonderful problem to consider! One of the things I am doing to improve my health today is to continue to work towards losing a few extra pounds. Smiley Happy How about you?

*Center for Disease Control, “National Vital Statistics Reports: United States Life Tables, 2011,” Table 19, 2015.

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

I continue to strive to drink lots of water every day. I'm a huge morning coffee drinker, and sometimes it's noon before I switch to water. Working toward improving water intake, one day at a time.

I had to chuckle a little as I read your post @KimberlyThomson. I depend on coffee AND tea to get going in the morning. While I am not a huge fan of coffee (I prefer tea) I was gifted a Nespresso machine last christmas and it has literally made drinking coffee so easy I can't NOT have a cup in the morning... which I follow right after with a cup of tea Cat Embarassed. I guess it's a good thing for both of us though - apparently moderate consumption of coffee and tea is associated with a lower risk of overall mortality, as well as a lower risk of death from heart and neurological diseases. Smiley LOL

One thing that helped me with upping my water intake was setting reasonable goals and increasing them each week. If you have a water bottle that marks ounces start with just consuming what you normally would, then move up 8 oz every week (or whatever period feels comfortable for you!). Feel free to share your wins here, I would love to celebrate with you! <3

------------------
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Hi @john_garrett I think it would be great to live to a 100, but more importantly would not it be amazing to live into retirement without major health complications and costs? I am dreaming of an amazing retirement with lots of activities, travel and going back to school (because why not) but what if all my dreams will implode because I end up spending all my savings on healthcare. I rather live a shorter retirement but healthier than a really long one. 

My grandmother was 104 and my father is 92. My mother's genes not so great for longevity... I noticed that my father's family is much more active. So, guess I know what I need to do to make it to 100 healthy and fit.

What a blessing to have had your grandmother for 104 wonderful years and still have your pops for 92, @Airf0rce! That's really very interesting that you notice a correlation between activity level and longetivity. A lesson for us adopt into our lifestyle now as we are all so much more likely to live to 100. 

------------------
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™

We just celebrated my mother-in-law's 99th birthday (she had aunts that lived into their 100s). We are all wondering how she is living so long because she was always sick, never exercised, never ate right, took lots of medicine etc. etc. So, it must be genetic.

So, you are wondering why I'm commenting. Well, most of us will not live to be 100, but to have a better quality of life for the years we have I feel it is important to exercise, eat right, and do everything that can be done to stay off of medicine. I see so many people taking the easy way out by popping a pill instead of changing their lifestyle, diet, etc.

I don't know about living to 100.  I mean, if I was in my right mind and had all of my mobility I would be okay with it!  My grandmother lived until 98 and she was a little spit fire.  She still lived on her own, walking around taking care of herself. It was an awesome to see!

Totally agree with all of you @Tapdanceterri @jfoster - I want life in my years, not years in my life! Can't wait to be a spitfire like your grandma!