OH NO - Broken Toe!

OH NO - Broken Toe!

Last Saturday I broke my right pinky toe when I tripped into a door frame. I blame the return of Zima, but that's not important. Anyway, by all indications, my toe is broken. You would think breaking the smallest of toes, and having nine healthy ones left,  would not be a big deal. It. So. Is.  I can't do anything!  I've developed a major limp and it takes me about 20 minutes to go from my desk to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I've been doing the R.I.C.E. treatment (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation), and it's getting slightly better but as an active person and avid runner, I'm really struggling with how to deal with these sudden limitations.  Help me, please:

1.  Heal this thing as quickly as possible!

2.  Suggest lifestyle alternatives to offset my inability to exercise like I normally do! 

My toe and I will be eternally grateful.  Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: OH NO - Broken Toe!

Yikes, Jill!! While I laughed at the Zima comment I am hurting for you! It sounds like a terrible pain to deal with and hardly being able to walk. I hope the immediate discomfort fades as the week goes on and you get additional mobility back. 

I don't know how to make your toe heal any faster (Sorry, I won't have my wizarding wand until I visit Universal Studios in November) but I do have a few ideas for exercise with the toe!  

• Core exercises: Good for you now while you're in the current (painful) state of it being such a fresh injury. Core stuff like crunches, plank, situps, etc. requires no movement from your poor toe. <3 
  • Biking on a paved area with a stiff shoe to protect the toe from too much movement once you get some mobility back.
  • Elliptical machine - smooths out any jarring from running on uneven surfaces same with once you further along in the healing process.

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

@Janice, you are my life saver!  I never thought about biking, which is something my son would love to do with me and require no impact on my toe!  I have been doing some abs and arm exercises in the meantime but would love to add some cardio in so this is perfect.  THANK YOU!!  See, you are a wizard.

@Jill_C, I'm also an avid runner who has also broken his pinky toe before (and also may or may not have been alcohol-related). I'd like to also recommend swimming. Not only will the cold water feel good on your banged-up toe, but swimming is great exercise too. And I'll go out on a limb and say your son would probably love to swim with you, too. 

@seichmann8 - thank you!  That is a GREAT idea that didn't occur to me.  Another great option - because I can't sit still! 

Sounds like it hurt! I've never broken a toe, but I broke my wrist and had to learn how to use my left hand to write. That was awkward. Smiley Happy

Have you found ways to stay active?

I don't have a broken toe, but I have tendonitis in both Achilles heels, so I feel your pain! No running for me either for a while. 

Maybe @Jessica has some ideas what you can do to help the healing process. 

On a side note, I am very clumsy (in England they kept calling me "cack-handed"... not sure where that expression is coming from), but I consistently miss the doorframe and bang my head up or catch a toe in it. I don't think I ever broke it but it was not pleasant for a while. You have my sympathies.

I have an update (I know you've all been wondering about my toe).  It's doing much better and I've started some light jogging.  It's just too darn nice outside to avoid!  So far, so good.  I still ice it every night but the pain is gone and it seems to be almost back to normal.  Curse you, broken toe, you almost ruined my summer!  Needless to say, I'm making some "lifestyle adjustments" to ensure this never happens again.  Thank you for all the tips!

So glad you are doing better @Jill_C - I have to get back on the exercise train myself. Been hiking a lot on the weekends but nothing during the week. Time to enjoy the summer.

@Twinkletoes83, thank you!  I still have plenty of summer left to (gingerly) kick up my heels!