The Big Question Around Water

Highlighted

The Big Question Around Water

I constantly hear about the endless benefits of drinking water, most are health related and of course the savings from not buying soda is also considerable. I would love to know what people do to drink more water, or why you do it? I struggle to keep hydrated so any and all suggestions would help me. My number one focus right now is portion control, and they say drinking a glass of water before your meals is great for filling up your stomach.

30 REPLIES 30

Re: The Big Question Around Water

Glad you're thinking about water and how to build healthy habits around it! I mean water is pretty darn important considering 60% of our body is composed of it. Smiley Happy Whenever I claim I'm hungry around Ian he tells me "drink more water" and that's become a mantra of my own over the years. I've shared my "hack" previously, but personally, I find keeping a marked water bottle on my desk and trying to drink 3 a day help me maintain my water intake goals. Maybe try keeping grapes, apples, or whatever your favorite fruit or veggie is, handy as a snack during the day? They can help boost the water intake without getting boring (and help with the feeling of hunger). 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

I'm a recent addition to the Transamerica family, and dehydration is a new battle for me. In my last gig at an agency, the mini-fridge filled with La Croix was like, 20 feet from my desk. Now I have to plan my search of fizzy water more thoughtfully (because who drinks flat water? >shudder<) and I tend to just forget about it. Good thing I still have my flask of bourbon nearby! 

Straws are your friend. You drink so much more water than you even intended because it is so easy! You could even have fun with it by using one of those "crazy straws" from the 90s.

I also find that adding to it with cucumbers, herbs (like mint or basil) or lemon keeps it interesting.

I have such a hard time drinking enough water too! I'm about 6 months pregnant right now and it's so important that I stay hydrated, but it's just not a daily habit to drink and drink water. You would think that would be enough motivation to keep the H20 flowing, but alas, bad habits die hard. 

Here are some of the things I've done to keep myself well-hydrated: adding cut fruit to my water (it makes it a little more exciting), eating soup at lunch, drinking fizzy water - feels like soda and hydrates like water (because it is water), and last, using a water bottle that has a straw. For some reason, I drink A LOT more water when I'm drinking out of a straw. 

I cut up cucumber and lemon to put in my water and I also find that using a large cup with a straw helps me drink more water throughout the day. Like DFLO, I have a slight obession with La Croix... My favorite flavors are mango, apricot and cherry lime! Just keep an eye out for sparkling waters that have sugar/sugar substitues and other weird ingredients in them that don't actually make them "water" anymore.

I used to work with longtime NBA coach (and two-time cancer survivor) George Karl. During his recovery, he shared the importance of drinking water. I'm surprised our body is only 60% water. Heard it was as high as 90%. Either way, coach Karl always recommended starting your morning with a tall glass of water, and it's amazing how 12 ounces at sunrise will get the brain moving. I also try to drink 60 to 70 ounces of water throughout the day. Here at the mile-high altitude, it's pretty much a survival technique.

Such awesome replies on this thread, thanks @Twinkletoes83

The reason I drink water is because it helps with brain function and joint health, which are both super important to me. Drinking water as soon as I wake up is a MUST every morning.  I also love peppermint tea in the morning. No caffein, yet it wakes me up instantly and is great for digestion. 

Personally I only like tap water and I don't like ice, but I know lots of people love their water very cold, hence having ice in their cup is a big motivator. 

A few years ago someone taught me to drink hot water (instead of tea), which is great for digestion and colon health. Just another trick to share with others.

Hi @ajlopez30 - I found this info

"According to H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water." from here: https://water.usgs.gov/edu/propertyyou.html

Great topic, @Twinkletoes83.

While the amount of H2O people need per day is always up for debate, I recommend a nifty formula that works for most people (for non-strenuous days). Divide your body weight by two. That's how many ounces of water you should shoot for daily. So a 200 lb. person would want to drink 100 ounces a day. Now I'm no doctor -- this is just an approach shared widely in the fitness community.

For those looking to get more water into their workday, here's a little trick I use.

Simply bring in a good, reusable bottle (glass, nalgene, etc.) to keep at work. Because I own this bottle -- versus a disposable coffee cup or something -- I tend to carry it around with me throughout the workday: to meetings, presentations, lunch at my desk, etc. Before I know it I'm on my seventh refill!

Note: I don't advise this technique with beer.