Workout Buddy vs. Personal Trainer

Highlighted

Workout Buddy vs. Personal Trainer

Considering how much a personal trainer costs, is it worth investing in one or do you prefer to just work out on your own or with a friend? 

For me, accountability is HUGE! Whether it is a financial investment or respect for my friend's time... I need something. I spend all my discipline on work and don't reserve much for myself... so I know to keep my motivation I need accountability. What do you do to keep you active and moving?

10 REPLIES

Re: Workout Buddy vs. Personal Trainer

I'm contrary and balk when someone "pushes" me and well, that's what you pay a personal trainer for. Woman LOL I've used a PT once but I prefer having a workout "buddy" more than someone tell me what to do! Cat Tongue You're right though, @nvecsei , either way you go with it having something to keep you accountable seems to have a higher success rate. Weight watchers uses the accountability of a weekly meeting + weigh-in to keep commitment strong and it seems to work!

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

I need someone to help make sure that I am not wimping out and doing things the right way.  For me a workout buddy is more for the camaraderie.  

I understand why people would not want to use a personal trainer, however, I have seen way too many people at the gym in danger of hurting themselves because they are either using too much weight and/or have poor form.  Form is very important to avoid injury and to make sure you are maximizing your workout.  I think a few sessions with a trainer is beneficial for everyone because a good trainer will know how to properly assess you to know what areas you need to work on and they can demonstrate the proper way to use equipment, exercise using body weight, etc.   Workout buddies are beneficial because you can keep each other accountable but let's not discount what trainers are actually there for Smiley Happy 

Love,

Personal Trainer and Wellness Coach Smiley Happy

@jfoster wrote:

Form is very important to avoid injury and to make sure you are maximizing your workout. 

I couldn't agree with you more on the importance of form. Super, super important to your workout and staying healthy while doing healthy things (like working out!). Woman Very Happy When did you start your fitness journey @jfoster and what motivated you the most to become a personal trainer?

------------------
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

@Janice I started my fitness journey  in high school (good ole aerobics class in high school) and then along came children (shortly after). So I stopped working out but got back into it 2009.  I got into body building and physique competitions but while training for a competition, I lost my footing  doing squats and got hurt pretty bad, so that kept me out of the gym for a year.  Got back into it and I just love it and wanted to train people.   Knowing that exercise is only one piece of being fit, I went on to become a wellness coach as well, so I can assist clients with nutrition and exercise.   The hardest part about becoming certified is learning all the medical language and anatomy!

And on that note I am meeting my new personal trainer tomorrow at 6am for our first workout. Keep fingers crossed for me for 1) making it to the office after 2) not hurting myself Smiley Happy - Recovering from multiple injuries and a recent surgery, but I need the accountability to a trainer and their creativity for the workouts.

I think it's personal preference. Anything that a personal trainer is going to teach you, you can find online these days.The question is: are you motivated enough to do the research and do the work on your own without a coach pushing you? I believe that a lot of people hire trainers just because they need that someone. Just like every profession, there are good and bad personal trainers. I urge people to do some homework before jumping into multi-session deals with trainers. 

I have never used a personal trainer but I have reached out to a few that were friends of mine for nutritional advice. I also prefer to work out alone. No buddy or trainer.

@nvecsei wrote:

And on that note I am meeting my new personal trainer tomorrow at 6am for our first workout. Keep fingers crossed for me for 1) making it to the office after 2) not hurting myself Smiley Happy - Recovering from multiple injuries and a recent surgery, but I need the accountability to a trainer and their creativity for the workouts.

@nvecsei How have the workouts with your trainer been going? Would you say there is a transition point for you're going to stop using a trainer?

------------------
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™

She has been amazing. I meet with her once a week. Ultimately I don't want to transition off from working with her, because I am simply lazy on my own. I do want to go from working out once with her to actually doing her exercises two to three times a week. So far I am very lazy on my own, I am trying to keep running 2-3 times a week and spend the weekend hiking. But I don't run and do strength exercises on the same day... so that's limiting my options. Maybe I need to stop running so much, since I have plenty of cardio anyway.

Anyone else using a Personal Trainer?

Recommended Discussions
Recommended Articles