American Heart Association Heart Walk

American Heart Association Heart Walk

A dog-friendly day of outdoor fun with the family, live band playing music, scenic stops to take a selfie, health brand exhibitors offering information and samples, and fabulous health food. Sounds like a great way to spend a few hours of your weekend, right? All of that (and more) is something that you can participate in for free, happening on Saturday, June 10th at Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium in Denver, CO. It's a part of the annual Denver Heart and Stroke Walk where individuals and teams raise money and awareness for the American Heart Association.

There will be many heart healthy activities to choose during the afternoon. Participate in the free 5K walk or a plethora of activities that raise funds - like a 5K run, barre, spinning, and yoga classes. If you're a Transamerica employee you can join the Transamerica walk team, if you have family or friends they can join you or hang out in our tent at Tailgate Village.

If you're not in Denver, but want to support a great cause and be socially engaged there may be an American Heart Association Healthy Heart Walk near you. You can visit AHA Heart Walk for a map and dates of the events happening around the country.

@csquires shared a piece called 'Have a (Healthy) Heart' on the facts around the high-cost of heart disease and the insight that it's largely preventable through lifestyle changes and education. These events are a great way to do both while engaging with your local community. See you there! 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!
3 REPLIES

Re: American Heart Association Heart Walk

So many great options. I am really torn between Barre and the 5k run... but I think it will be too much for me to do all the classes and walk and run Smiley Happy 

Has anyone else signed up yet?

It sounds so easy--"high-cost of heart disease and the insight that it's largely preventable through lifestyle changes and education" Yes, it is. The problem lies with our society as a whole. As a Nurse Practitioner and espousing primary prevention as my own personal mantra--I have to admit that even for myself it is REALLY HARD to follow the components of a healthy diet and get some sort of exercise on a regular basis.

I get real with my patients and explain that yes, it is hard, but ultimately it is up to them to decide what is most important for them. Some chose to make changes, others chose to implement pharmacological interventions to mitigate the long term effects of chronic disease states, and yet others chose to do nothing. There is no wrong answer to the decision--only what are you willing to live with as a result of the conscious decision you made?  There are a portion of folks that can do "everything right" yet still suffer from hypertension or hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol)--and well, that's just genetics.

I think one thing we should keep in mind is that we have to make a conscious decision to make significant changes in our everyday behavior in order to avoid the pitfalls of diets that are less than friendly to our waist line and ultimately our heart (mind, body, and soul).

@jessicajwright wrote:

There is no wrong answer to the decision--only what are you willing to live with as a result of the conscious decision you made?  There are a portion of folks that can do "everything right" yet still suffer from hypertension or hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol)--and well, that's just genetics.

I think one thing we should keep in mind is that we have to make a conscious decision to make significant changes in our everyday behavior in order to avoid the pitfalls of diets that are less than friendly to our waist line and ultimately our heart (mind, body, and soul).

2 1/2 years ago I had a sleep apnea that scared my spouse because he thought I might not wake up. The sleep apnea was caused by my weight. I made a conscious decision to work on myself for both of our peace of mind. My spouse joined in my journey and our mutual commitment turned my health around along with completely resolving the sleep apnea through weight loss. Can't agree with you more, @Jessica , it sounds easy but it really takes making that conscious decision to work towards goals - one step at a time! I understand there are those have preexisting conditions or disposition because of genetics and not everyone can be "healthy"  (as in perfect health) because of that, but don't let it stop you from pursuing safe and manageable steps towards a healthier lifestyle. Smiley Happy I hope you can find an AHA Heart Walk to participate in near you!

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!