Bill Gates invests $50 million in the Dementia Discovery Fund

Bill Gates invests $50 million in the Dementia Discovery Fund

I read this article from Gates notes in the news and thought to share it here. This is a huge milestone for Alzheimer's and Dementia to receive such a significant funding pledge. The statistics in the blog article are staggering, they cite you have a 50% chance to develop this disease if you live into your mid-80's and that Americans will spend $259 billion caring for those with Alzheimer’s and other dementias in 2017. Smiley Sad

Do you know anyone who has been affected by Alz/Dementia? How did your family handle the changes/expenses brought on by the disease? My mother cared for my grandmother who had dementia, we (my siblings and I) rotated in on the weekends to give my mom, who was her primary caretaker, time to spend on herself. It was tough, but thankfully my grandmother still had insurance through grandfathers retirement so that helped with the expenses but we still had to pitch in as a family for medical and living expenses to help my mom.

Would love to hear anyone else who has experienced or has a family member with Alz or any form of Dementia.  

1 REPLY

Re: Bill Gates invests $50 million in the Dementia Discovery Fund

Great to see such a high profile name advocating on behalf of Dementia research. Thanks for sharing your personal story of how Dementia has affected your family with us @Reeta

We are living much longer lives and with that will uncover new challenges that the previous generations might not have had to face. It's never too soon to begin looking for ways to improve lives of the elderly or chronically ill.

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!