Do I need to worry about identity theft if I lost my wallet?

Do I need to worry about identity theft if I lost my wallet?

I lost my wallet earlier this week, I think it fell out of my car when I was getting out to go into Dr’s office. My driver's license, medical ID cards, and debit card were in it. I’ve called my bank to have them turn off my debit card so it can’t be used. Should I be worried about someone using my healthcare ID card to receive services? I don't want someone to run up bills with my information. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Lost wallet :(

Oh no, @PatBee! I can't imagine losing my entire wallet at once. I've lost debit cards a few times though and once had one of my cards used to make a large purchase at Walmart! Thankfully the damage was reversible through filing a report.

Did you file a police report by chance? I hope you don't have to worry about anyone using your information BUT should it happen it might help to file a report so you have it to back you up against fraudulent charges. I found this PDF provided by the Federal Trade Commission, a government agency. The PDF is a checklist of things to do if you think that your identity has been compromised. Maybe start with something like this to ensure you're thinking of and covering all of your bases.

Have you called your insurance provider? Maybe there is something they can do to ensure that your ID cards can't be used like change the ID number?

I hope your wallet is returned to you, there are good people out there! Keep us updated. Smiley Happy

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Ouch! Losing keys or my wallet are two of my biggest fears. 

I'm paranoid and I don't trust anyone. I would contact everyone from banks(debit/credit cards) to my healthcare provider. Not just for prevention of identity theft but also piece of mind. 

Good luck!

If you came into this topic looking for info on how you can protect yourself against ID theft here's a great article from Monster.com about ID theft awareness and prevention

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Re: Do I need to worry about identity theft if I lost my wallet?

My wallet never turned up. Smiley Sad I got the number for insurance at work and they are changing my card and sending me a new one. Thanks for the link to the document Janice, I will go through it and make sure I don't have any strings still loose.

Re: Do I need to worry about identity theft if I lost my wallet?

That sucks @PatBee- I have lost my wallet once too but I have had a good angel return if. By then I had canceled my bank cards. It was a shock but I am glad I got my documents back. Don't forget to call DMV for your drivers license. That is a big one to replace!