Elevator news about Sunscreen

Elevator news about Sunscreen

The other day I took the office elevator and saw the latest studies showed that no matter how high your SPF rating on the bottle, most of them don't live up to the hype and barely even reach the SPF40 level. I wanted to dig into this a bit deeper, since I have melanoma history in the family. Well needless to say I could not find the study, but found other interesting information. For example SPF100 does not deliver any better protection than SPF55.... so I guess I am buying the more affordable sunscreen, and carry my beach umbrella around. 

This is pretty interesting read too.

Do you have a sunscreen you swear by?

11 REPLIES

Re: Elevator news about Sunscreen

I have a similar family history and found a sunscreen that works to protect you from both UVA and UVB.  Many sunscreens say they are broad spectrum, but Loreal sublime sun takes it to the next level and really works well.  It is also not greasy and waterproof.

I need to check it out. My shoulders burned this Saturday by being exposed for 1 hr during brunch at a friends patio... not fun!

@srosenberger I agree! Sublime is my favorite as well.

Avoiding sunburn is important, but don't forget to get your vitamin D. Sunshine helps your body turn cholesterol into vitamin D.  A little bit of sun each day helps prevent a wide variety of problems with your bones and teeth, as well as reducing your risks of diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. Vitamin D also reduces your risk of the flu and strengthens your immune system. So use the sun screen to avoid sun burn and skin cancers but try to get moderate amounts of time in the sun each day to get good amounts of vitamin D.

@john_garrett wrote:

Sunshine helps your body turn cholesterol into vitamin D. 

@john_garrett that's great info. I did not know Sunshine turns cholesterol into Vitamin D. I thought it just does it's thing. How very interesting

Ah! The inevitable conversation--to wear or not to wear. I think sunscreen, just like many other things in life, should be used in moderation. Remember--we need to be exposed to the sun in order to synthesize Vitamin D. As a society are just about universally deficient in Vitamin D.

Vitamin D, why should I care?

Literally copied from Medscape: "Vitamin D deficiency is often a silent disease. By definition, rickets occurs in children whose growth plates have not fused. These children are often found to have started walking late or prefer to sit down for prolonged periods. In adults, vitamin D deficiency results in osteomalacia, which presents as a poorly mineralized skeletal matrix. Adults in these cases can experience chronic muscle aches and pains"  The article didn't touch on the effect of Vitamin D on mood and emotions!!!

--and--

"Prevention

Unprotected sun exposure is the major source of vitamin D for both children and adults. [2] Provision of vitamin D from sunlight is as follows:

• Sensible sun exposure, especially between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm, produces vitamin D in the skin that may last twice as long in the blood compared with ingested vitamin D [4]
  • Full-body sun exposure producing slight pinkness in light-skinned persons results in vitamin D production equivalent to ingesting 10,000-25,000 IU [5]
  • Increased skin pigmentation, aging, and sunscreen use reduce the skin’s vitamin D 3 production"

--Link to article

As someone who has melanoma in the family and has surgery about twice a year to remove a-typical moles I am ashamed to say that I got sunburned twice in the last two weeks. I am very disappointed with myself.

But out of curiosity @Jessica - are you saying that Vitamin D production is not possible if I wear sunscreen?

If the article about the benefits of the sun above (http://www.acsh.org/news/2017/01/20/doubt-cast-over-sunscreen-vs-shade-study-10752) is correct, completely avoiding the sun is as dangerous as smoking. Getting too much sun causes melanoma. Hopefully a good level of sun tan lotion combined with the sun will get the right level of vitamin D and avoid melanoma. Be careful in the sun, but don't avoid the sun completely. Moderation is best.

@nvecseiCorrect--wearing sunscreen signficantly inhibits the skins ability to sysnthesize Vitamin D. Again--it's all about moderation. We tend to go from one extreme to another--in this case using baby oil to SPF 5000. There is a happy medium Smiley Happy

Recommended Discussions