Men's Health - What's the single most important habit for prevention?

Men's Health - What's the single most important habit for prevention?

As Father's Day is approaching, I am thinking more and more about my husband's health. 

If you are a man, what is the single most important factor/ activity/ habit you do to prevent any health concerns and how can your Loved ones support you with it?

If you are a Loved one, what do you do to support the men in your life to stay healthy and happy for a long time to come?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Father's Day Question - Men's Health

I am always making sure Ian is taking his vitamins! I started buying a men's multi-vitamin for him in 2015 when I noticed his memory was getting a little worse. I'm not sure it's helped ( Smiley LOL ) . Other than multi-vitamins and ensuring he goes in for his annual physical is there anything additional we could be doing to take care of our loved ones? Interested if @Jessica has any insight into that.

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

This is a really good question, @nvecsei, and I honestly can't come up with just one thing. Since my dad struggled with his health for so long (and didn't do too much to rectify those issues), I often find myself thinking of him when I take steps for my own health. Whether it's setting aside time at least every other day to exercise or staying away from sugary stuff like soda, I try to maintain these habits. My wife supports me by being OK with me getting home a little later after work because I want to go for a run, or being cognizant of what's in our kitchen cabinets. 

I am a firm believer that the holy trinity of good health and prevention is good rest, good diet, and staying active. Limiting stress is also right up there. I find that typically when something is going on with my health it coincides with a stressful event or time in my life.

thanks @Jotun and @seichmann8 - you guys rock. I bought my husband joint strengthening pills since he has a lot of damage from playing football, but he ignores them Smiley Happy

So I chose to put my money back into my wallet and make sure that I cook heathy (even if he does not like the new portion sizes) and hold him to his own request to go hiking every weekend. That way I don't spend $$ on supplements he does not want, but actually help him realize activities and eating habits he has expressed that he wants to do but needs  support system for it.

One of the comments we hear most often from gentleman in the office is: "My wife made me come in." Spouses--keep up the great work! As life-long partners we should be looking out for each other and part of that is making sure we get regular check-ups.

@Janice-regarding your question--is there anything else we can be doing? I would say keep up the good work! I would prefer that you, or your partner, get your vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat by eating a colorful and balanced diet. Each fruit and vegetable has it's own unique make up and carries various vitamins and minerals. A pretty and colorful plate is not only good for your mind and soul--it's great for your body and heart too!! If you feel you would benefit from a vitamin supplement--chose a high quality manufacturer. We (those in healthcare) joke around and say the One-A-Day vitamins come out the same way they go in. Meaning they are unchanged as they go through our gastrointestinal tract. With that being the case, it seems really hard to believe that our body could have absorbed or benefited from it.

As Americans, we tend to have a diet high is Omega 6's (aka read meat)--Omega 3 (one source is Fish Oil) is a wonderful supplement to add to your daily regimen. It can promote heart health as well as mental clarity. One of it's most substantial contributions is that it can raise our HDL (high density lipoproteins) which is our GOOD cholesterol.

Yup--we have good and bad cholesterol! Think of it like this: LDL=lethal cholesterol HDL=healthy cholesterol

Disclaimer: Please consult your healthcare provider to discuss your specific situation. This post is not meant to take the place of the relationship you have with your healthcare provider, it is for informational purposes only.

Blogger @MelissaK just posted a new blog "4 Hacks to Improve Men's Health" that you might find relevant to this discussion, @nvecsei. Smiley Happy

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Oh I like the eat more fats less sugar! More avocado in our household then.