What do you think about genetic testing or genome sequencing for prevention?

What do you think about genetic testing or genome sequencing for prevention?

Over the past 5 or so years I’ve seen articles on genetic testing or genome sequencing surface pretty consistently. Some of the articles advocate that testing/sequencing is a good idea because then people will have an idea if they have a predisposition for genetic diseases or conditions. Do you think these tests can be used as a tool for prevention or maybe extend your life? Is there any actual benefit of the testing or do you think it would cause you anxiety? Also, does anyone know if there is a difference is between genetic and genome testing?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What do you think about genetic testing or genome sequencing for prevention?

I would be curious about my heritage and might do a test like that at some point. However, I'm not sure I would want to have genome sequencing performed unless there was a medical need. I just feel like if there is a mutation causing a problem I'm going to eventually find out about it? Plus a recent study found these tests raised false alarms in many cases. Maybe when we live in a super advanced future state this will be a more comfortable idea for me to wrap my head around. Smiley Happy

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Re: What do you think about genetic testing or genome sequencing for prevention?

I am pretty sure I would be bummed about the results at first and dependent on the amount of bad news I might even get depressed for a while, but knowing who I am. I would rather know the truth and deal with it and be prepared, then not know at all.

I don't go to the doctor a lot of times because I don't want bad/stressful news. These tests could turn me into a nervous wreck and it could be for no reason. I think we have a tendency to over think everything and it could get in the way of just living and enjoying life.