HealthHack Challenge #1: Skip the Café

HealthHack Challenge #1: Skip the Café

@csquires recently shared an interesting statistic: The $4 a day spent on a work week morning latte can add up to $900 over the course of the year. For anyone looking to make the budget stretch a little further, that’s something I like to call "low hanging fruit". Given that fairly simple budget hacks like this exist I would like to propose a "drop the coffee shop" community challenge! 

The premise is simple - if you accept the challenge you'll do your best to avoid the coffee shop for the weeks of July 17th - 28th. At the end of the two weeks, we can post our savings over the course of the challenge and what you will do with your new savings. This topic will also be a place where we can provide support and ideas for each other on coffee shop alternatives or if we need support when feeling tempted. Check in every day in the community (in this thread) and we will help you count down the days and share a leaderboard at the end of the challenge.

Please note the challenge is intended for fun and attaining healthy habits and your participation is free and optional. There are no winnings or prizes other than a healthier you and maybe some savings. We encourage you to only participate up to your own comfort level, whether you are skipping the coffee shop altogether, occasionally or just reduce your coffee intake. Be Well. Build Wealth.™

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!
14 REPLIES 14

Re: HealthHack Challenge #1: Skip the Café

I like easy wins! I buy coffee a few times a week and am up for this challenge @Janice. When I am at the store next I will buy a new bag of coffee so I don't run out during the challenge which is my primary reason for buying when I do.  

I am down. I will try and get my own coffee maker so I can be more $$ savvy

I will participate as well. I'm not sure what I want to pledge my savings towards just yet... maybe kickstart a liquid emergency fund?

------------------
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Morning of Day 1 survived! How is everyone doing on the first day of the challenge?

I had a cup of coffee this morning at home and then a cup of (free) black tea for a little extra caffeine after I got to work. So far so good! 

------------------
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™

I bought coffee at the store this weekend but I was behind getting out of the house (this morning was like a bad comedy!) today and ended up getting a coffee. While I bought a coffee I at least just got a drip so it was $1.50 vs $5. Baby steps..... 

I made it another day with just the coffee from home and a tea in the morning. I admit an iced coffee sounds heavenly at the moment. Smiley Very Happy

------------------
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™

I am traveling this week, so unfortunately I am spending too much money on eating out. But no coffee for 2 days! Let's keep going @PatBee @Janice @nvecsei

I will admit it, I had a hot soy latte yesterday (Sunday) at Starbucks for $4.50 in 98F weather. I craved it so much. On the plus side, I did save 6x$4.5 last week, a whopping $27. I will take the challenge this week again!

Recommended Discussions