How did you create your will?

How did you create your will?

I don't know if this is the right board for my question. Visiting this website has made me think about a lot of things but the one thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet are wills. Do you have a will? How did you create it? Can you trust documents made with online tools to stand up in court?

I work for a health insurance provider and one of the things in our benefits package is access to an online legal center. I used the online tool to create the will and then had it notarized locally. I'm kind of worried it was "too simple" but I figure at least I have something in place while I work everything out and research other options / speak with an attorney. 

7 REPLIES

Re: How did you create your will?

Happy to hear the community has helped you consider various ways to be well, @PatBee. Smiley Happy I actually don't have much of experience with wills and legal documents along those lines so I can't contribute personally other than I think your idea of a conversation with a legal professional would probably be the best bet. Your topic has made me consider my own will situation though, so thanks for sharing with us and maybe someone else will have more personal experience with them to speak from. 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

I wish I had an answer. I have once written a hand written will, but it was more like a living will, and less of an estate will. I wrote it as proof of my common-law status, naming my then boyfriend as the executor of my living will. I would not even know where to begin today to write a full fledged will for my husband and children. Any ideas are welcomed.

I need to do this as well! I've been doing quite a bit of research lately to see how to get started and found this article on AARP to be pretty helpful. It turns out, you don't need a lawyer to get the job done, but a qualified professional (like a lawyer) can help you navigate estate planning, end of life planning, and possibly more things that are important, but you wouldn't know to think of.

I'm going to set my info up via the online resource Everplans. It's looks like it's pretty user-friendly and (from what I can see in the demo) it walks you through the process, much like how I think I lawyer would. 

Thank you for sharing the Everplan website, Maggie. I clicked through it a bit and I think the one I used for mine behaved very similar so I'm comfortable with what I created for now. I don't have many investments yet, but as I continue to grow in my journey towards my retirement goals I think a lawyer to help me with estate planning will be very important. 

@PatBee Curious to hear about how your experience with an estate planning lawyer goes if you get to it soon!

I am not sure if it will be soon but I'll update when I do. Smiley Happy

I haven't even thought about a will. This could be because I am mentally a child and don't think about how old I am getting. I better get on this will situation.