You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

How to fund college costs?

Highlighted

How to fund college costs?

College selection and cost is something that weighs heavy on my mind. When I was at the age to go to university I lived in a country where (unless you wanted to go to a private university) the government paid for tuition and most of us lived at home with mom and dad. I personally did not, so I worked full time while finishing my Bachelors, to afford rent and food. Today I am facing a completely different world when it comes to my son. As he begins his last year of high school I am left wondering if he wants to go to college. Asking him is pointless, he changes his mind every week. If he does though, how will I finance it? Or should I? My husband has a straight view on this matter, “we paid for the first 18 years, and college is his financial burden.” But I am not sure I agree.

I recently stumbled upon this awesome podcast called VoiceAmerica that talks about all aspects of college considerations, including applications, selection process and more importantly finance considerations.

My favorite two episodes are from March this year. One talks about financing options for all 4 years, the other about tax breaks and credits. (If you want to listen to the finance section of the podcasts only, fast forward to the 40th minute).

A quick snapshot of both:

Financing options:

• Savings and 529 accounts
  • Cash flow (out of pocket)
  • Financing and loans

Tax credits:

State Level (varies by state):

• Deductions
  • Credits

Federal Level:

• Tuition fee deduction
  • Lifetime learning credit
  • American Opportunity Credit

This blog post is a great roll up on all these topics.

BUT… what if you don’t have any savings? Should I really break the bank and use my regular savings for my kid’s tuition? Should I take out personal loans to finance his education he might not even want to do? I am having a hard time justifying all these expenses mainly because he does not seem to care one way or another. I am dreading the experience many before me have made when their children have started college 3 or 4 times all in different subject and may never finish any of them.

I know the answer can only be found internally in our own family and working with our tax advisor… But I am curious to hear what others are doing or not doing when it comes to funding further education for themselves or their children? How do you overcome the ambiguity of it being a good or bad investment in your child's future?

2 REPLIES

Re: How to fund college costs?

Tagging @Jessica on this convo as I know she has a son entering his junior year and is probably considering these questions herself. 

------------------
Janice James - W+H Community Manager
BE WELL. BUILD WEALTH.™
Get started in the community.

My goal is to connect people who share a passion for staying well and building wealth to ensure healthy, comfortable futures. Let me know how I can help!

Re: How to fund college costs?

I read a couple of articles recently on ancillary topics, some of the facts that I wanted to share:

Education is important, but so is your safety in retirement. Consider the timeline differences between you making up for lost retirement contributions versus your child paying off student debt.

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMS0417