You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

Running from the Heart

Dichele Blogger

Photo Courtesy of DichelePhoto Courtesy of Dichele

The beginning

By far, 2016 was the most pivotal year of my life. I was navigating through the world as a new mother; I had quit my job to be a stay-at-home mom, and I lost two of the most influential people in my life to heart attacks.

Through all of the beautiful things that 2016 had given me, the loss of my Uncle Todd and Uncle David clouded my heart and mind as I tried to comprehend how my uncles could be so full of life one day and taken from this world the next. Their loss ignited a drive in me to build a life dedicated to my health and the health of my family.

One step forward

I laced up my running shoes and put my daughter in her running stroller. Before I knew it, I was placing one foot in front of the other. My first run was slow, but the wind on my face and the love in my heart kept pushing me forward. Before I knew it I was consistently running 3 miles every morning with my daughter and dog by my side.

This new routine gave me a newfound energy (which every mom desperately needs) and filled me with a calmness to handle the daily challenges of keeping a little human safe and happy. The best part of my new lifestyle change was that I could monitor my progress by comparing my running times each week! I began challenging myself to become a better, faster, stronger version than I was the week before.

New challenges

I moved on from my role as a stay-at-home mom to begin my adventure as a working mom. This presents new challenges every day as a try to stick to my running schedule and maintain my energy. Staying motivated can be difficult, but I’ve made progress thanks to the support of my husband, family, and new colleagues. Every day, I’m encouraged to stay on track, eat the right foods, and ultimately succeed in the upcoming Transamerica Rock ‘n’ Roll Denver Half-marathon.

Staying motivated

As the race draws closer, I keep pushing forward with the goal of becoming the fastest version of myself. My daughter will continue to experience the world in new ways, and I want her to see that you never lose the capacity to grow and challenge yourself. Health is a part of my everyday life. Each mile makes my heart and mind stronger.

If you’re like me and are just starting your fitness journey, don’t be afraid of failure. Some weeks, you’ll run the fastest and farthest you’ve ever gone. Other weeks, you’ll struggle through each step you take. Always test your limits and never stop challenging yourself. Your future self will thank you.

One last thing: Uncle David and Uncle Todd, this is for you.

21645_AREVP0917

1 Comment
#cmgr

Thank you so much for sharing your personal journey and for bringing awareness to this important cause in their memory.

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMB0417