You have goals. We'll help you get there. Jump right in. We're ready for you!

Stroke: What you need to know

AndyB Blogger

24245_SIA0317_stroke_prevention_nutrition_comm_643px.jpg

When we dream of the future, most of us don’t imagine a life with a disability. No. We’re usually thinking: “I’ll just be me in the future. I’ll be older, but I’ll have more time to read, go for walks, play tennis, travel. I will live my life!” Unfortunately, due to the widespread prevalence of strokes, our future may not look like what we picture.

According to the National Stroke Association, every 40 seconds, someone in the U.S. has a stroke. And stroke is a leading cause of disability in the U.S. Not to mention a medical condition that’s enormously expensive to manage.

But guess what! You have the power to lower your risk of having a stroke.

What is a stroke?

Stroke occurs when blood flow to a certain part of the brain is cut off. Since blood carries oxygen around the body, the cells in the affected part of the brain become oxygen-deprived and die off. Disabilities occur when a stroke damages areas of the brain that control parts of your body and other functions.

Lowering your risk

According to the National Stroke Association, you can reduce your risk of stroke by creating good, common sense health habits in three parts of your life: diet and nutrition, exercise, and tobacco and alcohol use.

Diet and nutrition

Aim to eat a variety of vegetables as often as possible. Think about color. Make your plate your palette—dark green, red, orange, a spectrum of legumes and starches. Eat whole fruits. Grains should be mostly whole grains. Go for a little bit of dairy and a variety of lean protein like nuts, seeds, poultry and seafood. Whenever possible cut out added sugar. Packaged food almost always has more sugar than you need.

The National Stroke Association shows that eating healthy will cut your risk of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and carotid artery disease, all of which contribute to risk of stroke.

Exercise

Another way to control those risks is to maintain a physically active lifestyle. Even just 150 minutes per week of moderate activity, like brisk walking and two days of muscle-strengthening activities will help.

Quit smoking, and keep a lid on alcohol use

Finally, tobacco and alcohol use have an enormous impact on your risk for stroke. According to the National Stroke Association, smoking doubles the risk of stroke when compared to a nonsmoker. This is because smoking increases clot formation, thickens blood and increases the amount of plaque buildup in your arteries. If you smoke, find a way to quit. It’s that simple.

When it comes to alcohol, a bit of moderation can do the trick; the National Stroke Association recommends keeping it to two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women.

Make the most of your future by keeping your lifestyle in check today. Come join the conversation in our nutrition conversation board, or post your comments below.

24245_CSIA0317

2 Comments
#cmgr

Just today I read at the World Health Organization's website that a staggering 80% of heart disease and stroke can be prevented with lifestyle changes. Talk about food and exercise having a dramatic effect on someone's help... 

Anonymous

I've known several people who have had strokes and it's dramatically changed their lives. 

Warning: Misuse of Transamerica name in fraud schemes. Read more.

This material was prepared for general distribution.  It is being provided for informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an investment recommendation.  If you need advice regarding your particular investment needs, contact a financial professional.

Insurance products and services are offered or issued by Transamerica Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company, Harrison, NY (licensed in New York); Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company, Little Rock, AR; Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; and Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH. Variable products and mutual funds are underwritten and distributed by Transamerica Capital, Inc., or Transamerica Investors Securities Corporation, each a broker/dealer and member of FINRA. Securities and investment advisory services offered by Transamerica Financial Advisors, Inc., a broker/dealer, member of FINRA, SIPC and a Registered Investment Adviser. Investment advisory services focused on the unique needs of individual retirees, retirement plans and their participants offered by Transamerica Retirement Advisors, LLC, a Registered Investment Adviser. References to Transamerica on this site apply to an individual company or collectively to these and other Transamerica companies. This site may not yet be approved by the Departments of Insurance in all states at the time of publication. Transamerica companies are part of the Aegon Group. Copyright 2011 - 2017 Transamerica Corporation, 4333 Edgewood Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52499 - All Rights Reserved. Transamerica does not sponsor, endorse or promote any products or services mentioned

• COMB0417